Saturday, April 26, 2008

miss sarah, why are your cheeks always red?

So this week, my nursing responsibilities kicked in full force. Besides two hospital trips and a day spent organizing in the clinic, we had Lily clinic on Monday where the doctor from the hospital where we take the kids comes to see the kids so we don't have to bring so many. She checks them out and draws a lot of blood. I drew blood on a couple of the older ones, and I realized how long it had been since I had done that! It was so strange. Then in the middle of holding one of the little ones while the doctor was drawing blood I looked out the window and saw a warthog running along the fence. We're not in Kansas anymore, Toto.
I also did chest physiotherapy with Simone, one of the other volunteers, on a couple of the kids who have lung problems. She and I also spent an hour and a half with one boy who had sand thrown in his eyes (and was more than willing to tattle on the other boy but somehow failed to mention that he himself had started it) trying to rinse his eyes out and get drops in them. I cared for one sore throat, one sprained ankle, one bumped and cut head, one hurt rib, and applied about 15 bandaids. Next week a team of doctors from the UK who came to Lily in the fall will be here again and be working in the big clinic for a couple of weeks.
Also, it's starting to be wintertime here and it came out of nowhere. It was nice and sunny one day and the next two days straight it rained and was in the 40s. Now it's warm again during the day, but cold at night and in the morning. I had been warned, so I brought plenty of warm clothes but I guess I didn't really believe them because I definitely wasn't expecting it to be this cold!
No snake or bat sightings this week, so I chalk this one up as a success!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey daughter! I TOLD you your cheeks are always red! Enjoyed the post....

Love,

Dad

Anonymous said...

Oh, how cute! I know you love it when they say these funny things! I will be praying for the cars.
Love you, Mom

Anonymous said...

Sarah, Love your newsy reports. We pray for you daily and love you very much. Maw-Maw

Unknown said...

That just means you don't have to use makeup like most people! :-) So, does physiotherapy mean that you got to beat on the kids' chests? Gotta love when kids don't tell the whole story! Mucho amore (I know, I melded two languages!).

PS - I love how your parents' posts are always like 2-3 minutes apart.

Anonymous said...

Sarah, good to hear from you and glad that everything appears to be going well. Martha and I admire you for what you are doing and continue to remember you and the kids in our prayers. We had planned to send you a care package but just haven't gotten around to it. Let me know what you need along with shipping instructions. Being the Dawg fans that we are, you know I will have to include something with MSU on it. Take care of yourself. PS - We were curious about "sarahuinlove". Who is the lucky guy? Wesley and Martha